Adsense Search

Google
 

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Honolua Bay

Today was a good day. I went to Honolua Bay. It is the very north west side of Maui. It is a protected marine sanctuary with a coast / beach of very large lava rocks. In order to get to the beach, you had to walk down a trail until you come to the following sign:

We saw a married couple who were tourist who were mystified by the sign. The did not know if they were on the right trail. They did not know if they should go any further. I was with my housemates Paul and Sheri who promptly informed them that the sign is only posted there so that you can not sue the landowners. Good to know. If the sign Says: "Private Property Enter at own Risk", then feel free to go ahead and enter - but know that you can not sue in court. The sign still mystified me a little, but I continued on.

After you pass the sign, you enter a mini rainforest. I was amazed. I had never seen or been in a rainforest. Everything was so green - with trees that had to be several hundred years old. They were so big!
See what I mean?



So after a trail through the rainforest, we come to the beach. And by beach I mean no sand - absolutely no sand. There were lava rocks in place of the sand and it went right up to the water. Know I understand the sign... Learning to walk on rocks is an interesting experience. You are a bit uneasy at first and want to use your hands - and you do. Over the course of the day, you gradually become accustomed to it.
We went snorkeling 2 times. The first time we went to the right side of the bay. There is a huge coral reef after swimming out. There are fish every where. When I first got in the water, I messed around with a fish a saw. I think he ended up liking me and following me most of the day. It is a crazy feeling to have a fish follow you. You swim and swim, and yet still he is.
The second time we went snorkeling, we went to the left side of the Bay. I was amazed by the shallow reefs with blue coral. Carolina blue coral. Blue and purple is by far the prettiest I have seen. Here is the Bay:
Visibility was great. Paul dove down to about 35 feet and played on the bottom. Highly recommend diving or snorkeling here if you can put up with the rocks getting in/out and the LONG swim back to shore after you are ready for a break.


I found a piece of rock that was chalk in the rocks. I drew a Petra cliff:


Another beautiful day in paradise....

No comments: