Adsense Search

Google
 

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Another day of training to be an OPC

I have been slack on posting lately. I know that. Part of it is because I have made friends at the house. I come home and rather than type – I hang out with my houseies (aka roomies.) I apologize – but sometimes I play poker, sometimes I have a few beverages- and sometimes I just don’t give a fuck…

Today was interesting – I showed up at work @ 2 PM (which I had been told) and waited out front till 3 fucking 30. Now I have to tell you that I am ALWAYS on time, with one exception – I was purposely late for 1 year at a previous job because I was trying to get fired. I was at least 30 minutes late very day for a year – and NO ONE said anything. Not a thing…. The way I figured it, was if no one cared enough to say anything, then why should I show up on time? I stretched it sometimes – I was 1 and a half hours late a couple times. I received a call once – which I had honestly overslept. But it was still no big deal.

So for an employer to make me wait 1:30 on a training day – was totally unacceptable. I thought about walking many, many times – but I did not… We had computer training when the ‘manager’ was ready. I was about 8 feet Away from the 19” monitor, and I learned it. Cake. Software is all about playing and figuring it out. I did this for a living - so I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about. I found 4 bugs in the system in 20 minutes. It is written in VB (aka Visual Basic) so I understand the limitations…

We had 3 = 30 minutes breaks after the training started… After the last break around dinner time – I was told to go ride a booth (go watch what an OPC = Outside Public Contact – which is my new title….) during the shift. Basically that boils down to sitting in the booth and either jerking it or cat calling the tourist. I was glad I landed with a dude who preferred to sit back with his feet on the desk and wait for tourist to approach. We had 1 couple come up that wanted some activities. He managed to talk to them for 45 minutes – 35 of it was after they learned it was timeshare. He did an excellent job – I was impressed. He took BS and SSLLOOWW talking to a whole new level (but it did make me realize how desperate some people are for human contact and an interesting story…) While the happy couple was at the booth – a couple came up to me and asked about the $20 snorkel trip. It was good for me to practice on them since they were from Germany and had NO chance of getting the discounted price. Now I understand the importance of asking “where ya’ll from? Question… I can immediately tell them how the “promotions” work on Maui. You have to own a home – and make 50K+ a year. So the couple ended up walking after :45 minutes. He confessed to me later that he had all the feelings of regret – If I would have done this – or that they would have booked it. It is always good to hear the thoughts of doubt coming from someone else – we all have the same thoughts running in our head after rejection – but it always comforts me to know that other people have them too… We ALL do – we hate being told no. We hate not getting what we want… But to hear someone else EXPRESS it – makes me feel better. – it makes me know that I am human – and that hindsight is 20/20.

I am still curious as to how I will do on commission only. It is SCARY - but also exciting. I wonder which thought in my mind is going to wind up winning the battle??? Or will FREE activities win me over??? Time shall tell – and I will let u know…

I am Grateful for the friends I have met…
I am Grateful for the opportunity to take a chance…
I am Grateful to live on an island…
I am Grateful for my family, extended family (that I do not see too often) and for my mainland friends….
I am Grateful that I am an excellent saver…
I am Grateful for beer (and alcohol) – it is proof that GOD wants us to be happy… (Benjamin Franklin)
I am Grateful for the Plumeria tree in my front yard…
I am Grateful to live everyone’s dream..
I am Grateful for family & friends coming to visit (even though it has not happened yet….)
I am Grateful for life…

Mahalo!

No comments: