Adsense Search

Google
 

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Back to Honolua Bay...

I ended up going back to Honolua Bay today with Paul. We left Lahaina and headed north because there was a shark attack yesterday in Kihei (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070508/ap_on_re_us/shark_attack). My brother Jonathan sent me the link. I thanked him but I had already heard. It was on the front page of the Maui News. From what I have heard, that is pretty rare - they normally bury the story deep inside the newspaper.
We first went to Kapalua to check out the surf and to see if it was a good day to go cliff jumping. We parked by the Banyan Tree sign at the end of the road and then hiked over a golf course to get to the rock formation that jutted out over the ocean. It sure was pretty. It would have been a great place to snorkel, but I was scared of jumping off the cliffs. It was not so much the jumping that scared me, simply the climb back up the rocks (wet with snorkeling gear) that really scared me. So we left and headed north again.
Our next stop was Slaughter House (located right next to Honolua Bay). We got out and looked and it was pretty windy and the waves looked kind of rough - so we went on down the bend to the Honolua Bay and hiked down through the mini-rainforest again.

This is the entrance to Honolua Bay as you walk up to it:
This is the Banyan Tree that is at the entrance:
It was another good day for snorkeling. We sat on the left side of the entrance today and it was much easier to walk on the small rocks and was ALOT easier to get in and out of the water without hitting rocks. My fish fried was back today - and he and his friends were braver today. They got closer and seemed as if they wanted to play so I swam to the reef since they do not seem to like other fish. Lots of fish were out today - I need to get a fish ID card - so I will know what I am looking at and can make it easier to tell you what they are.
Sunset was again at 505 (nickname for 505 Front Street.) It was almost clear. There were clouds at the very tip of the horizon. Tonight was the most vibrant colors I have seen in the sky after the sun went down. The colors more than made up for tiny clouds on the horizon.









No comments: