Adsense Search

Google
 

Friday, June 8, 2007

The last 2 days

Thursday:
I had my interview today. It was at a hotel/ resort at Kaanapali. I showed up a little early (as normal) and stood in the lobby. I had no idea who to looks for, but I had my portfolio so I was hoping I would stand out. I was truly impressed by the resort. It was more or less Embassy Suites style with an open interior and lobby – and no it was not the Embassy Suites. I noticed 2 guys come out of a door – and I knew it was them. They talked for a couple of minutes, then they noticed me – because of my portfolio. We started walking towards each other at the same time and after introductions were made – I joked that I was hoping to stand out because of my portfolio (leather covered legal notebook holder.) We got some coffee and made chit chat and they let me know that the interview was very informal, and that we all would have a chance to ask questions. I was happy to hear that – but I kind of all ready knew it was the most informal interview I had ever had, because we were all in Aloha shirts – and it was my first interview that I had not been in a full suit. I sure do like the Hawaiian spirit – no suit and ties – just a Hawaiian shirt. I did notice that they had their shirts tucked in, which I had never seen – but I made a mental note of it….

The interview went well – I was impressed. The previous IT manager had the philosophy of “do not call the IT department – because I will NOT fix it.” So needless to say, he did not EVER get any support calls. That is defiantly one way to reduce the number of calls to the IT department. Not my way – but it is one way to do it… I learned a lot – and things were going well – I told a couple of stories of my career highlights – including being asked to stay in London for 2 weeks because I was liked so much and was so good with the users. In hindsight, this was an EXCELLENT story – because they in turn told me more about what they wanted and needed – and it seemed to fit everything I had just told them. It was not like they told me what hey wanted and I rebutted with what I had done. I talked first – and then they told me were looking for. I think it went well. I know tend to say that on all my jobs, but I REALLY hope I get this job. I know it would be a challenge, but I also know that I would have some freedom to do things to improve the IT support, infrastructure for both the hotel and the corporation. I really hope I get this job. I hope everyone wishes me well and thinks ALL positive thoughts! I know if enough people think positively, then the universe has no choice but to respond….

After my interview, I went to Puamona Beach and just watched the waves and appreciated the beauty of Maui. I am so grateful that I live here. I am grateful to be able to enjoy the beach, waves and the mountains. I sat at the beach for at least 20 minutes, just being thankful and grateful for the opportunity to live in just a wonderful place as MAUI!!!! Maui No Kai Oi!!!
So about 10 AM I was back home and wondering what I was going to do on my day off – I figured either snorkeling or surfing was in my future – and it was. Jason – one of roommates, wanted to do something – so I said lets go snorkeling – to which he agreed, We got Eric (another roomy) to go with us. We ended up going to Honolua Bay up north. Neither of them had been there, so I was excited for them and for me to be taking them. Eric has been here 3 and a half years, and had seen much of the island (he later told me that the had seen more of the island in the last couple of weeks than he had ever seen – this made me happy – I was glad to show him the island and let him know what I knew of it.) If yall remember, Honolua Bay is one my favorite spots to snorkel, but it is a LONG swum back once you are done. Eric had only been snorkeling twice – once with me at Red Sand beach, and one other time. After we swam out – Jason and I were together and asked where Eric was – and I thought it was a good idea to go swim with him since he was not too comfortable. I tried to share with him some of my secrets of snorkeling – and I felt better knowing he was not alone. He was not too comfortable diving down deep because of the pressure in his ears – so I told him what to do – and tried to dive down and make him feel better. He pointed out a quarter on the bottom and challenged me to get it – so I did – and then I hung out on the bottom to show it to him before I swam up. We saw 5 turtles chilling on the bottom and is always great to see such a magnificent creature. After my whole hand was wrinkly – I told Jason and Eric that I was going in. On the way in, I dove down 20-25 feet to touch the bottom (and to try to make Eric feel more comfortable diving down.) I made it to the bottom – and had to go up immediately – I NEEDED a breath and kicked HARD to get up and get one. I was grateful when I breached the surface and took a long deep breath…. We swam to shore and left after drying off. What a beautiful day – I saw blue coral, turtles, puffer fish, a mini rain forest, parrot fish, coronet fish, tangs and more fish that I do know the names of yet.

Friday:
I woke up this morning and Jason was outside. He wanted to go surfing – so I said lets go… Jason, Eric, Paul and I all went surfing. Now I have been surfing a couple of times, but the paddling is tough. I am doing something wrong because I paddle, paddle, paddle and do not seem to go any where. I am tired by the time I get out – and today there were hardly any waves, so it was not too much fun – other than the upper body workout. I like waves. I like when the waves are plentiful. I like when the waves are plentiful. Today was not one of those days.

I worked today. I was at a different booth and there was more traffic so it was a better day. I still did not sell anything, but I am starting to pick up on what I need to do. I had a couple of opportunities today of people who knew it was timeshare promotion and did not have a problem it. I now know that I need to close them. I need to wave my magical wand in front of them and do what it takes to get them to agree. I need to close. I need to ABC it. ALWAYS BE CLOSING!!! This is my first time in sales – and I am learning. I am learning that sometimes I need to apply pressure in order to close it. Pressure – while at the same time selling the benefits of why they should agree. I get it. A sale is different. I need to hook ‘em and close ‘em. Today was a good day. I learned that I need to take advantage of the situation – especially when they are on the hook.
It rained tonight. It rained for about 20 minutes. It was the most rain I have seen in Lahaina in 6 weeks. I enjoyed it.. I always like the rain – it is peaceful. I hope everyone has a good day on the mainland. I am going to Haleakala tomorrow with Eric. It is a 10,000 foot volcano – the highest point on Maui. It is a moon like landscape, so it should be interesting.

Aloha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What happened to the blog and the sunset pics? No update for a week and a half?