Adsense Search

Google
 

Saturday, June 23, 2007

I got PROMOTED!!!

Thursday: I had my interview for the Asst Manager of the pool deck today. I met with the Manager and HR director at 2PM. It went well, it lasted about 45 minutes. At the end, they let me know that I was meeting with the President at 3PM. I waited 15-20 minutes and then met with the Prez and owner of the company. I had some advice before I went in.

1 – Answer a question and move on. Do net dwell on it. Get right to the point and answer specifically.

2 – Do not smoke before you meet with him. Very good advise. I was glad the HR told me too….
The interview went well. I gave a little background of my career and why I was on Maui. My questions to him were:

Q1 – It seems that everyone I talk to, when your name comes up, they seem to hold you in just high regard and esteem. How did you achieve this with your employees?

Q2 – How did you get started in this business?

A1 – I doubt that everyone thinks so – but it is kind of you to say that. I think it is probably because no job is beneath me. I was out painting last night because it needed to be done.

A2 – I started by selling sunscreen. I started in Vegas and had the opportunity to go to Hawaii – and then I cam to Maui and was selling sunscreen at the resort.

Friday: I went snorkeling with Paul and Holly today. We went to Honolua Bay – and met one of the curators of the land. He told us that there were dolphins out there swimming today – and he told us that there was a white turtle on the left side that had turned white because of old age. It is estimated that he is 250 -300 years old. All of our jaws dropped. That is simply amazing that any creature can live that long. Let alone in the wild ocean - where getting eaten by a shark is a real possibility - especially to a turtle..

The water was clear – and we heard the dolphins, but we did not see them. We saw 5 turtles lying together. It was pretty cool.

I got the job as an Assistant Manager – I will be working on the pool deck making sure the people who use the pool are registered guest and giving them armbands. I will also be teaching snorkeling lessons and leading other activities for the guest. Basically my job is making sure the guests are happy and hang out with them at the pool. And hiring, firing, scheduling of my co-workers. Pretty cake huh? I get PAID to hang out at the pool. I start tomorrow and am probably on the fast track to a promotion. Pretty good for working 2 days huh :) All I need is my foot in the door and I create my own opportunities. If I can’t – then it is time to move on.

Today was also recycling day. We make 5 cents for each can, plastic or glass bottle we recycle and take to the redemption center. We always buy beer with our proceeds and share with everyone in the house. We made $18 today. It was 9 days worth of recyclables. We bought a12 packs of Natural Light and 2x12 packs of Natty Ice. Last week we made $32 for over 2 weeks of recyclables. We bought 2x24 packs of Keystone Light last week and a pack of rollies – rolling papers and tobacco to roll your own cigarette.

ALOHA & MAHOLO!!!

No comments: