Adsense Search

Google
 

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

My interview adventure

I took the “push mobile” to the other side (aka the other side of the island) today for my interview. I had one of my roommate go with me for security sake. We made it to Wally World (aka WalMart) so I could get some dress shoes so I looked professional for my interview. Eric and I went in to Wally World and did some shopping, then came out and hopped in the Jeep. She did not start. We waited 5 minutes then tried again and still no start. After 10 more minutes, time was getting tight, so we started walking to see if I could find a car rental place. LUCKILY, No Kai Oi Moters (roughly translates to The Best or #1) was across from Wally World. I was excited because that was were J&J and me got a rental car when we first came on vacation & I knew it would be cheap. They had a car – 96 Toyota Tercel for $115 a week. I took it. It is defiantly a Maui cruiser, but it starts on demand and runs well. We proceeded to Haiku and were about 45 minutes early and found the company that I had an interview with so we decided to go in the local grocery store that was in the same building as the company as I had an interview with. There was a Hot blonde walking in as we were walking in and I could not help but to notice her. I went to get some water – and she was there again. I went to the deli to get a sandwich – and she was there again. I went to cash out and she was standing in front of me. Someone called out her name, and I asked if she worked at the company I was interviewing with – and she was. I introduced myself and told her I had an interview with her at 1PM. She looked at me like I was crazy. I then asked if there was another “same name” at the company and she said yes. Surprisingly, she turned around and said – that is her… So I introduced my self to her. She replied, “I was so impressed with you resume that I figured you would be in a suit and tie…” I explained that I would be, and was early on purpose and had a change of clothes in the car.
After lunch, a bathroom break and changing clothes in the parking lot – I went to the office and asked for her. I was told that there was an application to fill out, and then Lisa would meet with me. I filled out the application, turned it in, and then we met at the picnic table outside. It was an easy interview and she expressed her concerns that 1 – I did know about Hawaiian art and 2) I did not know about pre-process color printing. To make a long story short – I have never been so happy not to get a job. She told me her concerns and was honest. She was SO VERY nice and HONEST that I was grateful. She gave me the name of a recruiter she used and suggested that I contact him. She also suggested that I contact some other companies and said that if I had any questions, concerns or just needed to talk – to PLEASE call her. I have never been on an interview where I knew I was not going to get the job and been so HAPPY and GRATEFUL to meet someone who really cared and wanted to help! I was also happy to hear that she was impressed with my resume (that is always good to hear :)
After the interview, Eric & I took the long road back. We Went to Wailuku to see if Eric could get an ID and so that I could get a Social Security Card so I could get paid for being an OPC. I successfully applied for my card, and Eric successfully got denied on his ID. Next we went to Iao Valley since he had not been there. (Ioa Valley was the last hold out of the Maui warriors when King Kamhemaha unified the islands of Hawai’i.) The coolest part of that trip (other than the fact Eric never had been there) was seeing a native Hawaiian jump from the 30-50 foot bridge into 6-8 feet of water. I was truly amazed – and grateful to see it.
We went back to Wally world to see if the push mobile would start – and we could not get the freaking door open. There was no way I was going to drive it if I could not get out in an emergency and was about to abandon it -when the door opened. Luckily, we made it back safely with me driving the push mobile and Eric driving the rental (that I have for a week).
Wish me luck on my interview tomorrow – it is THE job I want…
Aloha & Mahalo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bet you enjoy a "real" car for a week! No bike or push mobile.Good luck on your interview, this might be a perfect fit for you and Maui.
Mom

Anonymous said...

My fingers are crossed for you!

100 sunsets said...

THANK YOU! I hope get it too! Thanks for your support...