Adsense Search

Google
 

Thursday, June 21, 2007

BIG compani@$&k

So here is my new thought… Big Corporations suck. They are too big to take care of all the things (both big and small) to be reactive to the ever changing world in which they operate. They negate the small things so they naturally negate the important decisions, - such as to who is the right candidate to hire. Take me for instance…. All I need is my foot in the door – and I will succeed. I will surpass everyone’s expectations. I will show that you are grateful that someone with my talents, ability, education, people skills and street smarts – walked through your door and wanted a job with your company. I will make you look more competent than you are because I am smart. I have always known that the difference between a good & GREAT Manager is the people they hire. A GREAT Manager always hires people who he KNOWS is smarter than them. He knows that his employee will him look good – if not great!
Here is my current situation. I am a cabana boy @ BAM. I went into my interview with my roommate – who had his ID stolen – and does not have any form of identification – but he is from NY. He dropped out of high school at 15. He previously worked at a cook in 2 restaurants here in Lahaina. He is a great guy and good friend. WE both had our interview at the same time – so that we could start working within the week and make some $$$. I then had an interview with a Manager that was one on one, was all she was looking for and then some. She even told me so – twice… I showed up and started working after talking to the VP – who said he wanted me to meet with the President. I talked to the manager today who said that she wanted to meet with me and the HR director tomorrow. I called the VP today before I talked to the manager – and got his voicemail. I left a message and I did not get a chance to talk to check my messages until 6 tonight. He said he defiantly wanted to meet. I returned the call and said I was planning to be at the office tomorrow and meeting with the manager and HR guy – so let me know if that was a good time for him. I think it transpired pretty well – how about you. Here I am willing to work as a cabana boy doing physical labor – and I am SO over-qualified… Is that not the employee you want to hire? So I am meeting with the manager, HR, VP and President tomorrow. Pretty good for 2 days on the job huh?
AND that my friends, is the rest of the story as to why big corporations suck.
Wish me luck!!!
PS here is the impersonal letter that I got after going to an interview with a Fortune 500 company..

Dear (My name)
Thank you for applying for the position of MIS Manager-LAH000047 (Hyatt Hotel Properties/Hyatt Regency Maui Resort). After careful consideration of your application, we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for this position. We will retain your profile in our database and inform you of jobs matching your criteria if you selected this option. We also invite you to visit our web site regularly and apply online to other jobs that may interest you.We thank you for your interest in Hyatt and wish you all the best in your career. Best regards,Human Resource Department

Human resources department? I never talked to the hr department. I talked to the Engineer of the entire resort. I talked to him in person for 2 hours. I even called and thanked him for interviewing me – and re-expressed my interest in the position. I NEVER talked to the HR department – why are they sending me an email? Is it because the guy I actually meet choose not to hire me? I can accept that. I would welcome that. What I do not accept is some random letter from HR blowing smoke…

I am truly grateful that small companies appreciate what comes their way - and are willing to take a chance. I am grateful when someone gives me just enough rope – to choose my own destiny. I know the outcome – and they are smart enough to give me a chance and watch me make them look smart. All I need is foot in the door….

Aloha & happy summer solstice. Today is the longest day of the year! It is also my brother’s anniversary – HAPPY ANIVERSARY to my brother and sister! I love yall – and I will see you soon!

No comments: