Adsense Search

Google
 

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Aloha!

Ya Ya – I know I have not posted in a while. My Bad. To tell you the truth – I was tires of writing. I have been going to bed early (some nights) and blogging was not on the top of my list of things to do. So here are some highlights:
I quit my job as an OPC (Outside Public Contact). I got tired of working for free. I worked 10 days and made roughly $65. That comes out to $6.50 a day, or 92 cents an hour. I know I am worth more than that – so I just didn’t show up for work one day.
I got a new job as a cabana boy working for Beach Activities of Maui. Yesterday was my first day. It went pretty smooth. I spent most of the day trying to look like I was busy. The other part of the day was digging in the sand setting up umbrellas and carrying chairs to the people who rented them. The part that was really tough was dragging the cabanas in after people left for the day. I have to tell you that yesterday was probably my first day actually working for a living. I have never sweated so much or done so much manual labor in a day of working. It was not too bad. What really sucked was the diaper rash. It was hard to walk and painful. I learned an important lesson – always carry baby powder with me.
The upside of my new job is that I have interviewed for other positions in the company – an Assistant Manager position that will basically involve walking around the pool, talking to guest, and doing activities like teaching snorkeling, bocci ball, cliff jumping, etc. I had an interview with the Manager of the position last week – and it went extremely well. I am meeting with the President of the company tomorrow – and I hope that goes well too. I know it will…
Last week I took the bus to the other side (of the island) to go to Walmart with some of my housemates. I had to get some white shoes for my job as a cabana boy. We spent 22 minutes inside Wal-Mart – and the bus ride was 3 hours!. That was a long day!
The Irish invasion has begun. It seems that Hawaii has a worker visa program for Irish kids where they come to Maui and work for the summer. So there are about 300 Irish kids in Lahaina for the summer. I met 2 girls that I work with and they told me they had 30 roommates in a 4 bedroom house. They said that rent was roughly $120 each per week. That comes out to $3600 a week for the house – or $14,400 per month. Does any one think that rent here is expensive?
I hope everyone is doing well. I am having a great time and enjoying my new life in Maui. Talk to yall soon.

No comments: